Today Leo and I took part in something a little different. We went on the Outdoor Way of the Cross that is put on by the Catholic parishes and the Ministerial Association. It took place at 14 stations around the downtown core in our city.
Just so you get an idea, I’ll give you the locations and the theme of our prayers for each of the stations.
1. Jesus is Condemned to Death – Power and decision makers – out side city hall.
2. Jesus carries his cross – Homelessness – outside the Salvation Army
3. Jesus falls for the first time – For those suffering from addictions – outside the Liquor Board Store.
4. Jesus meets his mother – for those in poverty – outside the food bank
5. Simon of Cyrene helps Jesus carry his cross – Christian unity – steps of the Presbyterian Church
6. Veronica wipes the face of Jesus – healing of relationships – outside the Friendship Centre
7. Jesus falls the second time – for refugees and immigrants – outside the Multicultural Centre
8. Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem – better distribution of world’s wealth – cul de sac out side the Gateway Mall
9. Jesus falls a third time – for those who are unemployed – in front of the Federal Building (employment office)
10. Jesus is stripped of his clothes – trust in God – the bank corner
11. Jesus is nailed to the cross – Youth – outside the Margo Fournier Centre (youth centre)
12. Jesus dies on the cross –Justice system – outside the court house
13. The body of Jesus is taken down from the cross – Environmental stewardship – outside the Forestry Centre
14. Jesus is laid in the tomb – peace in the world – at the Cenotaph by City Hall.
Some of the best parts of the experience? Walking around to places that have been part of the downtown for years and seeing them and what they represent in the light of the cross. Also the group walking was so ecumenical and so multicultural. It was a beautiful day and by the end of the walk I think we had actually increased in size to well over 100.